(a) Plan development. Before beginning a crane/derrick operation in which more than
one crane/derrick will be supporting the load, the operation must be planned. The
planning must meet the following requirements:
(1) The plan must be developed by a qualified person.
(2) The plan must be designed to ensure that the requirements of this subpart are
(3) Where the qualified person determines that engineering expertise is needed
for the planning, the employer must ensure that it is provided.
(b) Plan implementation.
(1) The multiple-crane/derrick lift must be directed by a person who meets the
criteria for both a competent person and a qualified person, or by a competent
person who is assisted by one or more qualified persons (lift director).
(2) The lift director must review the plan in a meeting with all workers who will
be involved with the operation.